Saturday, August 29, 2020

Composition of Blood

Blood is considered a fluid connective tissue because it has a matrix. The living cell types are red blood cells(RBC), also called erythrocytes, and white blood cells(WBC), also called leukocytes. The fluid portion of whole blood, its matrix, is commonly called plasma.  

Plasma: Plasma occupies 55% of blood of which 90% is water and remaining 10% is protein, fats and carbohydrate. Plasma is yellow in color. Plasma is designed to carry nutrients, hormones, and proteins to the different parts of the body. It also carries away the waste products of cell metabolism from various tissues to the organs responsible for detoxifying and/or excreting them. In addition, plasma is the vehicle for the transport of the blood cells through the blood vessels.  

Red Blood cells(RBC): RBC are deep red in color and biconcave in shape. The don’t have nucleus. The red color is due to the presence of hemoglobin. They are formed in bone marrow. They have life span of 90 to 120 days. After that they are destroyed on spleen. To supply oxygen on body is major function of RBC. Due to lack of RBC in bood there will be problem on supply of oxygen and the disease called anaemia occurs.

White blood cells(WBC): WBC are colorless and don’t have fixed shape but they have nucleus. WBC are larger than RBC. If the number of WBC exceeds than limit a disease called leukemia occurs. WBCs, also called leukocytes, are an important part of the immune system. These cells help fight infections by attacking bacteria, viruses, and germs that invade the body. White blood cells originate in the bone marrow but circulate throughout the bloodstream.

Platelets: Platelets are also called trombocytes. They are very tiny cells with no neuleus. They are formed in bone marrow and have life span of 2 to 3 days.they help blood clotting on wounds and fight against disease.



Post a Comment